Like many sports fans, I’m totally guilty of being biased against watching the Women’s World Cup. Well all that changed today. After casually tuning in to Sunday’s USA vs. Brazil quarterfinals match, I spent the afternoon on the edge of my couch experiencing nervousness, rage, national pride, and exhilaration. This match was one of the most epic triumphs I’ve ever witnessed in any sport. With that being said, I decided to put together a list of reasons to watch the remainder of the Women’s World Cup. Hopefully you’ll agree with me, and tune in as the United States women take on France in the semifinals.
1) Soccer is Soccer: The rules are the same whether you’re watching Men’s or Women’s soccer. Women can slide tackle, elbow, shoulder check, foul, and score amazing headers on pinpoint crosses. It’s not like watching the WNBA where the 3-point line is closer and there’s no above the rim action.
2) USA! USA! USA!: Our Women’s National team is freaking good! They’re representing our country (which I love) and they have a chance to take it all. I love watching our Men’s National Team, but they’re so difficult to watch sometimes. They’re often playing from behind and goals are so rare with our Men’s team. If Women’s soccer wasn’t a big deal, do you really think Nike would name a building on their campus after Mia Hamm?!? Think about that for a second…
3) The Stage is Huge: I had such an amazing summer in 2010 watching the Men’s World Cup. Yes, the WWC isn’t as monumental of an event, but it’s all we have right now. Take it or leave it. I love soccer, and I want to see USA kick ass. There’s a lot of that going on right now. Tune in! I’ve got more reasons to wear my USA jersey and I’m not complaining about that.
4) Check the Tweets: I have a lot of friends in the sports media industry and I was surprised to see them live-tweeting the match today! Every hard foul, free kick, goal, and time-wasting flop was analyzed, critiqued, and spun into humor and joy on my timeline. I’m used to seeing these dudes live-tweeting the NBA Finals and the NFL. I never would’ve expected to see them going ham over Women’s World Cup, but that’s the state of soccer in our country. People are finally embracing the sport! Get with the program.
5) Hope Solo: She’s a bomb-ass goalkeeper and she’s hot. #MarryMe She makes impossible saves people! There’s a short list of plays in sports that get me jacked up: An outfielder throwing out a runner at home plate, a linebacker pummeling a quarterback, a blocked punt, an ankle-breaking crossover, a buzzer beater, and a goalie stuffing a shot on goal. Hope Solo does the latter all the damn time.